[time-nuts] RE: Micro phase stepper

buehl at superlink.net buehl at superlink.net
Mon Jul 18 18:21:30 EDT 2005

I just finished a design using programmable delay lines similar to the Maxim
parts (From Data Delay Devices in New Jersey, USA).  Was disappointed in the
step to step errors.  Using the 1nS per step device, I measured the delta of
some steps as short as .4 nS.  Average of many steps was fine.  Also found the
rise and fall times of output of the DDD ICs to be slow and non-linear.  Did
not have opportunity to test the Maxim parts.  If anyone has used them, we
would all like to know your experience.

Cost is another factor; more than US$ 100 is common.

I am watching this thread carefully, and will test out the D/A convertor w/
comparitor (and other ideas) for the next generation design.  My design uses
an integrator/ FPGA input threshold for a fixed 35 nS delay, and it appears to
be very stable and repeatable;  So a real comparitor version should be great.

Regards,
Tom Buehl
EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS, NJ, USA (not London)