[time-nuts] Micro Phase Stepper: Thank you!

buehl at superlink.net buehl at superlink.net
Tue Jul 19 15:16:53 EDT 2005

Quoting Ulrich Bangert <df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de>:

> Hi Folks,
>
> thank you very much for your kind explanation and hints regarding micro

> I imagine very well how a dac driven constant current source sourcing or
> sinking a small capacitor in conjunction with a comparator may give a
> variable slope linear ramp allowing very fine delay steps.

The DAC sets the reference for the comparitor, while the 'ramp' remains
constant.  Thus you can trigger at any point on the ramp, the resolution of
which is the accuracy limit of the comparitor and the DAC.  The max to min
time range is determined by the slope of the ramp.  Time from starting the
ramp (application of current source) to the detection point (and related
comparitor & propagation delays).

Using two comparitors/ two DACs allows a START and STOP arangement to define a
time interval; Either two pulses, or with logic a variable width pulse
(limited by the rise/ fall time of the logic).

Regards,  Tom Buehl

However, even