[time-nuts] GPS timing receivers - what now?

Bjorn Gabrielsson bg at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jul 20 15:01:54 EDT 2005

Jim Miller <timenuts at jcmco.com> writes:

> On Jul 20, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> > Has anybody tried to contact SiRF ?
>
> I have not, it was my understanding that SiRF is a chipset company,
> not a sensor board mfg; however I could very well be mistaken.

They are a _big_ chipset company, also doing reference designs
(boards) for their chipsets. The interesting part would be if they
continue on the precision timing path. If they were just after
eliminating/(get IP) a compeditor on the assisted-GPS market, that
would be less fun.

If they stay in the precision time segment, it could well be that we
get much more sources of good boards. Lots and lots of boardmakers are
using SIRF.

--
        Björn