[time-nuts] Temperature measurements

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Sun Jul 24 22:46:46 EDT 2005

I was thinking about ordering one of these:
http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/vk011 for measuring temperature inside,
outside, and wherever. I think tracking the temperature as I take long term
measurements would be a good idea.

I was wondering which is best: measuring the room temperature that the
equipment is in, or measuring the temperature of the equipment itself. If
the equipment, which spot? Some parts are much hotter than others (heatsinks
for example). If room temperature, where in the room? The corner with all
the equipment is warmer.

As for outside temperature, how should I house the sensor to protect it from
the elements, yet not interfere with its measuring capability? For example,
if I were to encase a sensor in epoxy, that would certainly cause a delay
between the actual temperature change and when it was measured by the
sensor.

Any other thoughts on the topic also welcome.