[time-nuts] Cable Delay Measurements

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 27 07:07:39 EDT 2005

Joseph Gray wrote:
>> I'd appreciate it if you stuck your request here.
>>
>> http://www.drkirkby.co.uk/community/test-equipment/
>

> I like the idea.

Thanks - it is nice to know I have not totally wasted my time, although getting to grips with bits of
perl warrants the time spent. There is nothing like trying to learn something when you have an
application for it.

I'll respond here to the comments made by yourself and others, rather than make multiple posts.

I see you made a request for an HP application note. If you send me the title (if you know it) by
private email, I'll add that. I'm sure many might reconise a title of an application note they own,
but are unlikely to remeber the number of it. I hope you get the manual for the 5370A time interval
counter.

> However, I think you should do away with the three
> check-items and the associated text that gets inserted. It is redundant.
> Just let people enter what text they want for a description.

I was keen to do that, as it will allow for entry into a database in a sensible way, should I ever
have the inclination to do so. The lists of requests/offers

http://www.drkirkby.co.uk/community/test-equipment/manuals.shtml

has now been modified so those that those offering manuals are shown in green, those requiring very
little help are in orange, and those requiring complete manuals, that might need a number of poeple to
get together to do it, are in red. Perhaps that is useful.

I am keen for it *not* to become a place where every 'manual merchant' exploits the spirit in which it
was set up. I thought that might discourage that a bit too.

That said, if I incur *significant* costs in getting something I want myself, I am considering
charging a small fee for a download, until the cost has been recovered (despite the 5270B TI conter
was not cheap to transport from Denmark and back, it will remain free) Someone has just sent me an
application note in the UK for free, so I will put that online and not charge for that. But I have
also  just purchased an application note from the US, so I might charge a small fee for a copy of
that. (I'm in the UK).

However, personally I will NOT be going into the business of selling manuals - *perhaps* just recoving
some of the cost of those that cost me sigificant amounts of money to get. And I will only get ones I
want.

Thanks everyone for the comments on the spell checker. I have one on my mail client at home (not this
client I would add), but I never mananaged to hook the GNU one up to bluefish, which I have used at
home to crease HTML pages. Now I tend to use 'vi'. I will however consider stripping out the html tags
  with sed and piping the result into the GNU spell checker, to find errors.

If you have any more comments on the web page at

http://www.drkirkby.co.uk/community/test-equipment/

and its related pages

http://www.drkirkby.co.uk/community/test-equipment/manuals.shtml
http://www.drkirkby.co.uk/cgi-bin/manual.cgi