[time-nuts] Re: UTC

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jul 28 02:27:26 EDT 2005

In message <20050727.171934.28808808.imp at bsdimp.com>, Warner Losh writes:
>> Certainly.  But what's your point?  I don't see these utilities failing
>> if a second slips here or there.   The one case where time is critical
>> is the power grid, and they keep their own time (Which, IIRC
>> approximates UTC).
>
>The long term average of the power grid in the US is 60.000 Hz.

Are you sure this is still the case ?

Here in the "NordPool" area in nothern europe, 50Hz average went
out the window with the deregulation of the electricity grid because
nobody wanted to be forced to provide the extra power during one
season to gain back what was lost during the other.

And before that, the short term variations were on the order of
a year...