[time-nuts] Re: UTC

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Thu Jul 28 03:37:11 EDT 2005

> The Turin leap second survey said that loss of life had occurred due
> to a leap second insertion event.  The survey didn't provide any
> additional details.  However, I've not been able to find any media
> coverage of such an event, nor find other documentary evidence to
> support it.

Sorry, I haven't ever seen anything on this either.

But on a related note, let's do some math. The
population of Earth is 6.4e9. The birth rate is
21 / 1000 / year so there are 4.3 births per
second (4.3 Hz for the purists ;-). The death
rate is 9 / 1000 / year so there are 1.8 deaths
per second.

That suggests about 4 babies are born and
2 people die during a leap second.

/tvb