[time-nuts] Battery backup of frequency standards

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Jun 9 09:14:29 EDT 2005

Don't do that!

Under normal operation, it is desirable for the battery to be sealed.
The seal prevent the evaporation of the electrolyte. SLA batteries,
because of the way the electrolyte is gelled, don't have very much
extra electrolyte.  Any amount of evaporation is harmful to the battery.

Underneath the plastic cover you found rubber caps that sealed the
individual cells.  That rubber is special.  It allows the cells to
pressurize up to a point, and gives way to provide a vent during
catastrophic cell boiling.

Sulfuric acid wicks around and through silicone rubber.  Battery
manufacturers have spent a lot of time and money developing seals that
work fairly well with Sulfuric acid, and yet you still get corrosion arround
the terminals of your automotive battery.  If something as simple as a
bead of silicone rubber would solve the problem they would already be
doing it.

-Chuck