[time-nuts] GPS disciplined Rubidium

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Sat Jun 11 08:41:25 EDT 2005

OK, guess I am on a roll this AM. Whiling writing my lost post I was
reconsidering one of my previous thoughts. What is the advantage of a GPS
disciplined Rubidium. I sure do not see any. Yes, for those times when there
is an outage of GPS, it may be handy, but the holdover time of a decent
ovenized oscillator in the short term is actually better than that of a
Rubidium, and if GPS is out for a long time, well, all bets are off anyway.
Of course in that case a rubidium would be a better timekeeper. So, like
everything else it seems to be a trade-off. I was thinking of taking one of
my Z3801s and placing a Rubidium in it in place of the ovenized oscillator.
The more I thought about it the more I decided it was not a worth while
effort. Any comments? - Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731