[time-nuts] Do we need something like this ?

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Wed Jun 15 22:38:15 EDT 2005

Hi Ulrich,

Welcome to the group and thanks for your long
message. It's a very nice project and I bet you're
having lots of fun designing and prototyping it.

I'll be very interested to hear what LO you plan
to use and to see early performance results.

I have a number of questions or comments on
your project which I'll address over the next few
messages. But in summary, I very much like
the modern idea of using a DDS to close the
loop rather than a traditional VCO approach.

I suspect the additional phase noise from this
technique would be problematic in some cases
but for the majority of GPSDO applications,
including most of the ones we experimenters
use, it is a simple and useful approach.

Note that some Rb products use a DDS in this
way. See: http://www.temextime.com/ .

On the other hand, others are proud not to use
a DDS, using a SC-cut OCXO instead. See:
http://www.thinksrs.com/products/PRS10.htm

Several modern Cs standards use a DDS to
generate the 9.192 GHz probe frequency. I think
the HP 5071A even uses a SAW and DDS to
generate the main 5/10 MHz output. See the
design papers at http://www.karlquist.com/
which go into this in more detail. Or perhaps
Rick himself would like to comment on the
relative advantages/disadvantages of using a
DDS for this purpose in a GPSDO.

Anyway, go for it. You might also want to read
the specs and manuals at the Novatech site --
since many of their cool T&F products are
based on the AD9852. It may give you an
idea what specs you'll approach. The site is:
http://www.novatech-instr.com/ . Note also
several of their products allow a convenient and
precise 1 uHz resolution in frequency (that's
1e-13 at 10 MHz, exactly) rather than 1/2^48
(which I think comes out to something like
3.55271e-14, right?).

Lastly, there was a discussion some months
ago in time-nuts about phase microsteppers
and, if nothing else, part 2 of your project (the
DDS) could be quite useful to many of us as
an inexpensive, stand-alone stepper. Perhaps
it could even evolve into another TAPR board.

/tvb
http://www.LeapSecond.com