[time-nuts] WTB FTS4060/S24 PCBs

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Thu Jun 30 12:56:07 EDT 2005

At 8:13 PM -0700 6/29/05, Tom Van Baak wrote:
>>... 4060 ebay auction just ended (at $3000) ...
>
>Does anyone know why that one went so high?
>There were several FTS 4060 earlier this year
>that sold for 1/3 or 1/4 of that price.
>
>/tvb

As far as I can tell, it's just a bidding war. The high bidder has
three feedbacks, the last two of which are for 4060 clocks from
glossa7 for about $1K each. So he's the market maker.

The second-highest bidder is interested in all sorts of timekeeping
equipment, but he's in Germany so you can't read his bidding list
directly - you have to look at the feedback for each item he won. It
may be that he chose yesterday to become interested in 4060 clocks.

Glossa7 bid just under $1K for this clock, which is the same price he
sold each of the  other two for. Perhaps it's cleaner, and/or more
recently made. It wasn't covered in stickers.

I asked the seller for the 4060's cesium tube manufacture date and
the answer was about 7 years old, so it's not a minty-fresh tube.
That's what I was interested in, as I assumed that the life remaining
on the tube is the main price factor on a working clock, much like
the engine life is for an old airplane. Perhaps others aren't so cold
and calculating. Not that I have three grand lying around to spend on
a clock right now.

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/