AW: [time-nuts] Strange effect with C-Field change

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Mar 24 15:29:18 EST 2005

Hubert v. Bonhorst wrote:

>If you disregard this excursion, what happened after the change. Did
>frequency change as expected? Would there have been continuity of data?
>Which TIC do you use? Which GPS receiver do you use? How many satellites did
>you track? What is the minimum elevation for satellites used?
>I know a lot of stupid questions, but ....
>Hubert
>DB7ME

Hi Hubert --

Yes, after this "blip" that lasted several hours the phase abruptly
returned to just where it was.  After things returned to normal, the
frequency offset appears to have changed as expected (though I still
need to gather data for another couple of days to precisely determine
the offset).  The TIC/GPS setup has been running continuously for a
couple of weeks (and I've been doing similar measurements with basically
this same set-up, though sometimes using a different TIC, for a couple
of years).  I've never seen a shift of this magnitude before.

It might have been a GPS anomaly, but the coincidence of the event
happening just as the C field was changed is hard to ignore.  Following
Tom's suggestion, the next step is to (very) carefully see if Jody might
have done something else while making the change.

John