[time-nuts] Anyone want a pdf of the HP 5370B manual ?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Wed May 4 18:55:14 EDT 2005

John Miles wrote:
> Then there are those of us who never made it past our freshman year in
> college, but who are called "Doctor" by hotel clerks on the basis of our
> handwriting alone!  Hi...

Mine was once described by my English teacher as looking like a spider
had walked through pain.

> At any rate, yes, that's a very nice scan, and it is worth the 500MB+ it
> takes up.

Cheers. I put quite a bit of work into that.

> That counter went through no fewer than 18 documented revisions,
> and this manual is the only one I've seen that's late enough to address them
> all.  I now own 3 different manuals for it.

How many counters do you own?

For time time to scan it, buying it from ManualsPlus would have been
well worth it. It has saved me about $75, but I reckon it must have
taken 50 hours or so. So I was working for $1.50/hour, which it not too
good.

A faster scanner, bigger scanner, more expierence touching up files in a
graphics package, more knowledge about how best to create a pdf ... etc
would have all helped.

But ManualsPlus did not have one to cover the S/N of my instrument, so
this seemed the sensible option.

The Bama site said they will host a copy, but not at 500MB.

If anyone has a problem with the size, I'll reduce it. With some
intelligence, scanning some pages higher than others would be sensible,
but since I am only borrowing the manual, and don't have it here to keep
forever, it was more sensible to extract as much information from it as
possible, with a view to interpolating later. But that said, I don't
want to make it a life work to tweak every parameter of a pdf file.

I imagine if you were a company and had a catalog online which was a
500MB pdf, people would soon go elsewhere. But this is not really an
issue here.

dave k