[time-nuts] Fine frequency adjustment in 5370B

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun May 15 17:09:42 EDT 2005

John Miles wrote:
> Correct, the only adjustment on the 5370B is on the 10811 itself.

Cheers. I thought that was the case, but confirmation is never a bad thing.

> The best
> way to set it is to note the deviation after a long warmup with the counter
> covers in place, then take everything apart and adjust the 10811 to remove
> the same amount of deviation.  (If you set it to 10.000000000 MHz with the
> covers off, it won't be there under typical operating conditions.)

That's what I was intending doing, although the adjustment as far
courser than ideal on a counter with 11 digits.

> I don't bother keeping mine calibrated, since everything runs off GPS.

I don't have anything locked to GPS yet, but even when I do, it is not
always going to be that convenient for me, so having a reasonably
accurate timebase in the counter will be useful. Sure, putting in a
rubidium locked to GPS would be nice, but not always practical for me.

Thanks very much John.