[time-nuts] Programming of 5370B

Daun Yeagley daun at yeagley.net
Tue May 31 16:56:52 EDT 2005

Hi David

You have hit on the exact reason the 5370 has a binary transfer mode.  This mode
essentially transfers the bits directly from the counter hardware to the bus.
Remember this counter was designed and built quite a few years ago, and the
processor in it is rudimentary at best by today's standards.  It took a *lot* of
time for it to format up the numbers into ASCII!  I'm not sure if it was
specifically stated in the manuals, but it was a well known fact that to get any
speed at all, you had to use the binary format.

Daun