[time-nuts] Question concerning failure and value of HP 5371A

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Sat Oct 15 13:46:41 EDT 2005

Hi Magnus and the others in the group,
thank you very much for your comments and the help!

I had a look to the counter at the seller, propably really ok, but its at ebay
already above 1000 $, and he believes to get much more.
(We will see soon where it ends).
see #http://cgi.ebay.de/1-St-HP-5371A-Frequency-and-Time-Interval-Analyzer_W0QQitemZ5817342262QQcategoryZ31337QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In Germany such devices are rare and very expensive, as there are some
dealers buying all the good equipment and reselling them to companies with
multiplicators....
Even for a really defective 5371A, showing fatal errors on RAM,
mathunit and others, they ask for at least around 600 $.
That's not my collar size....

This forces me to try to develop a very high speed gating device with
d-flip-flops as ripple counter, capable to work below few ns, best would
be to count up to 500 MHz pulses (1ns), but unfortunately I am already
an old codger who liked to work with analogue rf signals, not liking all
the digital devices.
The point is, I do not find gates capable to work well beyond 30, 40 MHz.
I there somebody having a helpful idea how this could be solved?

PS: I had a look to the internal h/w of the hp 5371A, the ocxo is a
normal hp 10811-60111 in, I thought to find a higher qualified type in
such devices.

No, I am not watching all that illnesses about jamming gps etc.,
because I think that this is good calming down people, but this would
not stop informed guys at all navigating to the target...there are other
ways. So what.

Hello Robert in Zürich, I hope to meet you again, viele Grüsse in
die Schweiz, nur etwa 70 Strassenkilometer von Salem.

Regards,

Arnold, DK2WT