[time-nuts] Question concerning failure and value of HP 5371A

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Sun Oct 16 15:09:15 EDT 2005

Hi Tom,
I am very much interested on your works and results, it sounds to
be a interesting way, nice project. Unfortunately I do understand
nothing of these new devices.
I would like to keep in touch with you, thank you.

Poul,
about the rule of thumbs:
8 is quite a good number.
It depends how precise one want to reflect the original shape,
I used the similar rule quite close, the number of 10, knowing that
this will already reduce the rise time a bit. For best results demonstrating
measurement I used sometimes the factor of 20 at lower data rates,
which of course ends up at higher rates far in the microwave range -
with all the involved problems. For critical tasks I had a very nice
4 chanel scope with a total bw of 3 GHz available.
But a lot of times it can even sufficient to work with the factor of 5,
accepting the shape modification but with the advantage having less
EMC problems.

regards

Arnold, DK2WT