[time-nuts] Abbreviated book review

Mark Kahrs mark.kahrs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 22:23:14 EDT 2005

I sent this last week but didn't see it, so I'll try again.

I checked out a new book from my local physics library "Frequency Standards"
by Riehle (who is a PTB guy). It is published by Wiley-VCH.

Here's a table of contents:

1. Introduction
2. Basics of Freq. Stds
3. Characterization of Amplitude and Frequency Noise
4. Macroscope frequency references
5. Atomic and molecular frequency references
6. Preparation and Interrogation of Atoms and Molecules
7. Caesium Atomic Clocks
8. Microwave frequency standards
9. Laser frequency standards
10. Ion trap frequency standards
11. Synthesis and division of optical frequences
12. Time Scales and Time Dissemination
13. Technical and Scientific Applications
14. To the limits and beyond

I would say this is graduate level material, the equations come fast and
furious, but overall it's comprehensive and interesting. The bibliography
alone has 884 entries, which makes it possibly worth the price of admission.
Speaking of which, it ain't cheap. But you probably guessed that, didn't
you. How pricey? Like almost $200 pricey.