[time-nuts] 5370A/B Problems

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Mon Sep 12 22:22:44 EDT 2005

> For some weird set of circumstances,
> all three units failed withing 1 week.

Were they running at the time? Any chance
you overloaded the overly sensitive inputs with
an unattenuated 1PPS pulse?

> The 5370B's were much worse off.
> It seems that they both suffer from failures
> in the U24,25,26 chips on the Arming board.

What are the symptoms that lead you to these
chips? Does any part of the 5370B still function
with the arming not working?

> Unfortunately, the two units are not identical
> and I cannot cannibalize one to fix the other.

What S/N prefix are they?

> What I can do is use some chips from the 5370A
> to fix the older model 5370B.
>
> So(at last) my question is:
>
> Should I do this?
>
> I am very hesitant about breaking a perfectly
> good 5370A which has seen much good service.

Yeah, I'd keep the working 5370A as is and wait
for a 5370 parts unit to show up.

/tvb