[time-nuts] FEI5680A Rubidiums On Ebay

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at EWI.TUDelft.nl
Fri Sep 16 05:57:37 EDT 2005

Dear All,

I just looked up the AD9832. It has no internal multiplier. Maximum
reference CLK-frequency is 25 MHz. Squeezing out 10 MHz...... the wave
shape will not be nice, unless extensive filtering is used.

I'm not sure if this DDS is used at the end of the "chain" or is a part
of the frequency controlloop? If it is at the end of the chain, one
could consider disconnnecting the program-pins and program a small PIC
to "program" the DDS.

Or use the reference clock and connect it to a more recent type of DDS
(with internal multiplier), and create a nice 10 MHz sine-wave with the
external DDS.

I have seen these standards on Ebay as well some time ago.... I expected
all these kind of problems, so I decided not to buy one. However, if the
price would have been lower (and if I had more time....), I would have
bought one. My idea was to modify the unit. Keep some of the original
electronics, but redesign the synthesizer and interface part....

Good luck, hope you will find some way to make the oscillator usefull!

Best regards & 73's Jeroen - PE1RGE

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering