[time-nuts] HP 103AR scans online; post-processing advice sought

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Sat Sep 17 14:25:59 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have placed raw 200DPI 8bit GIFs of the HP103AR manual on my website.

There's no index file; the scans are at:

http://www.nixiebunny.com/hp103ar/hp103ar01.gif

through

http://www.nixiebunny.com/hp103ar/hp103ar39.gif

so you can wget them easily. The files average 2 megabytes each, so
there are many extra ones and zeroes in there.

Leading up to the next question:

What's a good post-processing program to shrink the scans of text
pages, possibly OCRing them, and make one big PDF file out of the
lot? I know that a few folks on this list have done this work, but I
don't know how they did it.

If there's free/cheap software that works well, I'll get it and
proceed, otherwise would one of the folks with such software step up
to the plate and complete the job for us?

If it's many hours of work, then some automated script that can
shrink the text-only pages would be sufficient for that work, and a
simple PDF maker would handle the rest.

I await your suggestions.

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ