[time-nuts] Fan for old HP synthesizer

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Mon Apr 17 15:44:18 EDT 2006

I realize it's a bit off topic, but not too far, as keeping old HP
stuff alive is a significant fraction of time-nuts activity.

Our telescope uses several old HP 8672A 2-18 GHz synthesizers. These
beasts use a bizarre fan made by IMC that is basically the inside of a
muffin fan mounted on four rubber vibration isolators.

The sleeve bearings only last 20 years or so in the dry air-starved
environment at 10,000 feet altitude, and we just had one grind to a
halt last week. I cleaned it and added oil, but this is a stopgap
measure as I don't have the ability to really soak the oilite bearing
in oil.

The fan model is SWS2107FL-51, HP part number 3160-0296. Google
reveals nothing but the sites with lists of every part ever made.

Does anyone know of a replacement fan for these machines?

Or does anyone have good re-lubrication tips?

Thanks in advance for your help.