[time-nuts] Fan for old HP synthesizer

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Apr 18 20:22:23 EDT 2006

I have 3 HP synthesizers with what looks like the same fan: 8672, 8673
and 8656, and they are all very loud, the worse being the 8656. On top
of that, the 8656 fan still runs when the unit is in standby. I have
thought many times that I wanted to replace it with a 12V model so that
I could wire it to the switched 12V inside the unit so that it would run
only when the unit is operating and not in standby, but that particular
synthesizer draws a lot of power in standby, and I am affraid that it
really needs cooling even then... So, for now, I turn it off completely
between uses and until I have my GPS locked frequency reference, I sync
it to the timebase in the 8673 when I need to.

I just got a 5 MHz ovenized crystal stabilized reference off eBay today,
and I have a Jupiter receiver, so I am just some soldering away from a
good frequency standard...

Didier KO4BB