[time-nuts] Loran - any good for timekeeping?

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Fri Apr 21 17:03:48 EDT 2006

> I have to look at the Austron 2100T manual to get the exact sequence of
> events, but basically you set the clock, feed an external PPS signal
> that is roughly accurate (within some tens of milliseconds, I think),
> and then enter the next time of coincidence (TOC) which you obtain from
> the USNO (http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/lortoc.html).  The TOC is when the
> Loran pulse coincides with the UTC second.  When the TOC rolls around

For GRI 9940, have a look at this one:
http://www.leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm

> (which occurs a couple of times per day, the receiver locks to that and
> you can remove the external PPS.  From that point on, the PPS output
> should track with the stability of the Loran signal unless/until it
> loses lock.
>
> Not sure about the idea of tracking multiple chains; it seems like that
> should work, but that's not how the Austron receiver, at least, does it.

The vintage Austron and SRS Loran-C receivers track only
one GRI. Modern ones like CsSync by Locus track multiple
stations and multiple chains (all-in-view). See:
http://www.locusinc.com/cssync.html

See also the wealth of modern Loran-C information at:
http://www.locusinc.com/whitepapers.html
http://www.locusinc.com/articles.html

/tvb
http://www.LeapSecond.com