[time-nuts] Fw: HP 105 powersupply problems

Robert Atkinson robert.atkinson at genetix.com
Tue Apr 4 03:23:23 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Using a Variac over a long period of time is great with conventional
(Transformer-rectifier-capacitor) linear PSU's, but be careful with more
modern equipment with switchmode PSU's. They can draw excessive current
during undervoltage conditions.
Still use your Variac, but ramp it up a little quicker, maybe 30s to a
minute. Watch out for auto supply voltage (115/230) switch designs too,
it's best not to cross the switching boundary too slowly as they may not
switch back from voltage doubling to full-wave rectification resulting
in very excessive internal voltages.
If you don't have a Variac, try a low wattage (40W) light bulb in series
with the supply to limit the current.

Robert G8RPI.