[time-nuts] ...Conexant (Rockwell) Jupiter behaving strangely

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Apr 6 16:36:02 EDT 2006

In message <017c01c659b8$45786350$62bfe144 at youre7075dc078>, "jmfranke" writes:

>I have been experimenting with the Jupiter receiver.  Even without the
>backup battery, I can sometimes get a similar problem. [...]

It's important to understand that GPS reception is a statistical
process and due to some of the averaging times and framelengths
being quite long, a receiver will not necessarily notice loss of
signal instantly, and similarly, it may not be able to reaquire
locking instantly because even very small drifts will push the
correlator out of the center in a few seconds.