[time-nuts] Fan for old HP synthesizer

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Apr 17 17:41:02 EDT 2006

Assuming that the steel shaft hasn't worn to a smaller size
(the usual cause of failure in a oilite bearing, here is how
you re lubricate the beasts:

1) disassemble and clean in naptha (lighter fluid) use a string,
    or small brush to clean the bearing hole in the oilite.
2) heat the bearing until it is too hot to touch, but not smoking
    hot.  Wipe off the oil that appears.  Drop hot bearing into a
    puddle of oil, and let it cool.  The bearing will soak up the oil
    as it cools.
3) reassemble.
4) re oil any oil felts that might exist.

Usually, though, when the oilite runs out of oil, it grinds (polishes)
away the shaft, and in doing so increases the clearance so that the
shaft doesn't draw out the protective oil film that provides the
lubrication.  The rumbling of the shaft in the excess clearance also
tends to hammer the pores in the oilite closed, so they nolonger can
allow oil to wick onto the bearing surfaces.  Adding oil will work for
a very short while, but ultimately, the bearing gap is too wide, and
the oil will be flung away.

-Chuck Harris