[time-nuts] How Rubidiums make their frequency

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Thu Apr 20 02:03:52 EDT 2006

[Clocks in GPS satellites]

> I said "drift-free Rubidium" :-)
> They last longer.

I've seen comments about Rubidium having better short term stability than
Cesium.

What's "short" in that context?

How often do the ground stations talk to the satellites?

Is it reasonable to correct for the drift?  If the drift is slow enough the
communication channel is already in place.  It shouldn't be too much work for
the ground stations to track the frequency as well as position.

There is probably a good writeup on this someplace.  Anybody seen one?