[time-nuts] Timing or Navigation GPS Receivers (was: Turning off PPS when not enough satellites)

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed Aug 2 13:56:00 EDT 2006

Hi Ulrich:

I'm not the one that can explain it in math.  But as you know by using
carrier phase surveyor's can get much much better position accuracy than
they can using just the code phase, so it stands to reason that better
time transfer can be had by using carrier phase.  Also if you consider
that you need to know  your position in order to get the time, knowing
you position more accurately leads to a better time solution.

I think the method is still in development and Doug Hogarth is helping.
Don't know about the cost of the Z-12.  Key features of the Z-12 are
that uses a patented algorithm to get carrier phase that has a better
s/n than just squaring and also that it has provision for an external
oscillator input.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke

--