[time-nuts] Turning off PPS when not enough satellites

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Thu Aug 3 02:49:12 EDT 2006

From: "Ulrich Bangert" <df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Turning off PPS when not enough satellites
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:32:20 +0200

> Hello Björn,
>
> >Tell me why the above receiver with external freq in/output is a bad
> timing receiver.
>
> Perhaps BECAUSE it has a external freq in? If TVB is right (he usually
> is) the quality of the externally applied signal should better be in the
> cs/h-maser catgory. Boy, if i had a cs or a h-maser available on my lab
> bench to generate the input for the receiver I would perhaps bother with
> other things than with gps receivers.

The amount of phase-noise that the reference clock induce into the signal
(as defined by the PLL bandwidth) is the interesting aspect. It increases the
sensitivity of the receiver. This is well covered in literature and supplying a
better clock than the internal TCXO would be of interest.

Cheers,
Magnus