[time-nuts] Ugly Frequency Dividers

Normand Martel martelno at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 19:11:40 EDT 2006

That remembers me the ugliest (or most exotic?)
frequency divider i ever saw:

It was part of a Marconi (damn, i don't remember the
model number, but it was an OOOOOLD model), more
precisely the 600 MHz divide by ten prescaler.

The input divider was based on two tunnel diodes that
acted as a div. by two divider followed by the really
most bizarre divide by five unit i ever saw: Fifteen
discrete NPN transistors arranged in a star (or
pentagon (Helloooo Echelon!! ) ) topology with the
input placed at the center of the star. The 15
transistor were in a symmetrical loop of 5 three
transistor units working in a closed loop.

Years later, i've made searches to find the schematic
of this prescaler, but without the model number, this
is quasi-impossible.

If one of this forum's members has this schematic, i
would be pleased to ask for a copy!

Damn! That strange "star" all-transistor divider could
count up to 300 MHz after all!!!

Have a good day gang and keep this forum running!!

73 de Normand Martel VE2UM
Montreal, Quebec, Canada