[time-nuts] Frequency Dividers

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Aug 9 02:22:48 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/8/2006 17:21:56 Pacific Daylight Time,
Randy at synergy-gps.com writes:

>Said,

>I understand that the micros work fine, it just  seemed like you would
>need a second one to discipline the OCXO because of  the timing
>constraints on the divider.

Hi Randy,

on our new GPSDO's we are doing it all in one micro, using the
timer/capture/match units of the Arm parts. Complete freedom to use these  with 32 bit
resolution. And we have an Rtos running in the background for fun,  since all the
1PPS etc is hardware driven and runs pretty much independently of  the CPU.

You can set the match outputs (generating the 1PPS etc) to any value you
like, so one could generate up to 9 different PPS output frequencies or 1PPS
pulses with different phases etc.

The unit also captures any input pulse, and time-stamps it to within 16.7ns
resolution. It has a bunch of these capture inputs for time-stamping. All that
 for <<$2...

bye,
Said