[time-nuts] SiLabs

Randy Warner Randy at synergy-gps.com
Wed Aug 9 11:30:49 EDT 2006

Didier,

I too have looked at the SiLabs parts. I may just have to get one of
their eval boards.

I use the SiLabs CP2102 USB-to-Serial converter in my new receiver Eval
Boards. Tiny little thing, no external components, and it also has the
ability to handle more than just RxD and TxD traffic. That was always a
problem with the FTDI USB converter in that you could not put the 1PPS
out on the USB bus. A lot of times I ended up using the USB just for
power and used the serial port for comms. Seems like an awful waste of a
USB connection. Anyway, with the 2102 I can put a the 1PPS on a
"virtual" DCD line and keep TAC32 happy.

Randy