[time-nuts] Time Nuts at PTTI this past week

W4wj at aol.com W4wj at aol.com
Sun Dec 10 09:30:28 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/10/2006 2:04:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
K3IO at verizon.net writes:

In my  posting last night, I inadvertently forgot to include one other
personage  who falls under the "Time Nuts" umbrella.

The PTTI selected Dr Dave  Mills (W3HCF) of the Univ of DE as the
recipient of the 2006 Distinguished  Service Award (for previous
recipients, see page xii  of
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/ptti2006/PTTI2006AdvPgm.pdf). As  he
accepted the award, Dave told that his professional career in  computer
science and his interest in timing grew from his amateur radio  roots.

Dave is well known as the Father and Referee of the NTP and SNTP  network
timing protocols. For info on NTP see Dave's web page  at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/%7Emills/ntp/>  and the official NTP page  at
http://www.ntp.org/.

--------------------------

The PTTI  meeting also remembered with great sadness Dr Len Cutler who
led HP (and  then Agilent) into the time/frequency business by directing
the development  of Cesium, Rubidium and Hydrogen clocks at HP Labs. A
bit of Len's history  can be gleaned at
http://www.agilent.com/metrology/bio-cutler.shtml . Len  passed away this
past September (see  http://www.ieee-uffc.org/fcmain.asp?page=cutler) and
the community misses  him.

73,  Tom

WOW! Here is a neat story (pre-NTP,pre-internet,  pre-etc!!)
about Dr. Mills...

I had a CW QSO many years ago (pre-PC) with  W3HCF.

He sent his QSL along with a print out of my CW  text.

Now this was many years before any of the  commercial
code readers hit the market.

Dave fed the audio from his home receiver to his work  computer
where the decoding and printout was done!  A return  monitor
at his desk showed the success or failure of the  attempt!

Because this was a very early "attempt" at decoding  morse,
the success of the decode was very dependent on the  "timing"
of the sending operator i.e. how good was the received  CW!!
This era was also pre-CW keyboard.

It turned out that Dave called me because of my good  "timing!"

The short note from K3IO brought the W3HCP QSO to  mind.
Now I need to dig out the card, and the  printout!!

TNX Tom and congratulations to Dr. Dave...  Good  memories...

73, Don, W4WJ