[time-nuts] insulation/packing material for OXO?

Normand Martel martelno at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 16 20:59:54 EST 2006

--- Christopher Hoover <ch at murgatroid.com> wrote:

That's what i did...

Years ago, i've got a japanese OCXO (i didn't know the
brand, i just got the core..). I used an aluminum
project box as external case and filled the empty
space with styrofoam that i've cutted with an X-Acto /
razor blade.

One other way would be with fiberglass insulating
stuff, but be aware that this stuff is physiologically
irritating. Use gloves and a breathing mask and get a
good shower after working with the stuff.

Some manufacturers use canned self-expanding
insulating stuff for units other than OCXO's. While
this stuff is the best one to completely fill all the
small spaces (it's main use is in filling all the
small gaps between a window and it's supporting frame
after installation). I'd use it at last resort, since
it is hard to remove once it has hardened, but if your
oscillator has worked without problens for many years
and no frequency critical components are exposed, that
stuff is not a bad choice.

I don't know the composition of the original greenish
stuff, but don't use it. If it disentegrates over time
it's a sign of poor quality.

73 de Normand VE2UM