[time-nuts] Failure mode in GPS receivers

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Sun Dec 17 15:54:16 EST 2006

On Sun, December 17, 2006 21:34, Bruce Lane said:
> Good day,

> On 17-Dec-06 at 21:25 bg at lysator.liu.se wrote:
>
>>On Sun, December 17, 2006 20:54, Poul-Henning Kamp said:

>>> Antenna damage.
>>
>>Did not a hardcoded GPS-week limitation strike quite a lot of older Datum
>>stuff?
>
> 	In a word... huh?
>
> 	Methinks I'd better go do some googling... Unless you'd care to expand on
> that? ;-)

Wording could have been better. Seach for GPS week rollover. The GPS
satellites send a datastream to all receivers telling them the time and
where the satellites are. To know the date you have a GPS-week, that is 10
bits long. Week #1 started Jan 1 1980.

well read more on tvb's site.

Some receivers half fixed this problem by adding 1024 weeks to any GPS
week lower than some safe number - say a few weeks before the engineer
wrote that code in the receiver firmware.

--

   Björn