[time-nuts] TIC resolution impact on GPSDO's performance

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Dec 24 17:10:46 EST 2006

Ulrich Bangert wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am starting a new thread because this topic ist still discussed very
> controversial. I hope this posting helps to get more insight. What
> follows is by no means to be understood as an act of personal
> aggression. Nevertheless I will phrase my point of view as clear as
> possible. I suggest that you have a look at the attached pdf now.
>
> First obey the dotted blue line. This is the Allan plot for a HP10811
> OCXO as a typical example for what a lot of us have at hand. The
> undotted blue line indicates the lowest ADEV that is reached anywhere
> between 10 and 1000 s.
>
> While it is not necessary for the understanding of the further
> discussion you might want to know WHY the Allan plot has this banana
> like looking: Within an oscillator an number of DIFFERENT noise
> processes are active and play a part in the overall noise that the
> oscillator emits. Some of these processes have the property that they
> tend to cancel themselves a bit when averaged over a certain time,
> others do not. The minimum of the ADEV must be considered as being
> located at the averaging time where further averaging leeds to no more
> improvement in noise and where the other noise processes (mainly
> environmental sesibilities) that do not tend to cancel start to overrule
> the scene.
>
> While the Allan plots of different OCXOs are not identical they look all
> very similar. My FTS1200 may start at 1E-12 @ 1 s and be in the range of
> some parts in 1E-13 up to 1000 s. Also its ascending slope is not as
> steep as the HP's one. Nevertheless it looks pretty similar. In contrast
> to that the Allan plot of a simple xtal oscillator is also a banana but
> may be located 4 orders of magnitude above the HP's one.
>
> Now look to the yellow line. This is the Allan plot for a Motorola M12+
> receiver if we squeeze ALL available time information out of it, i.e.
> when we apply the sawtooth correction value to the 1pps. The plot starts
> at 2E-9 @ 1 s and has a slope which is little bit smaller in magnitude
> than -1.
>
> Note one thing: The sawtooth correction value of the M12+ is an integer
> multiple of 1 nanosecond. To make full use of this 1 ns correction
> resolution it should be clear that we need to measure the receivers's 1
> pps with at least the same resolution. Bruce has already pointed out a
> number of times that if we want to neglect the influence of sheer
> resolution at all at this point even a few ps timing resolution need not
> be considered an overshot.

To avoid some of the nasty effects of coherence and quantisation it is
useful to add noise to smooth out the effects of quantisation and reduce
the bias when averaging (exponentially weighted average or otherwise).
However such noise reduces the phase measurement accuracy. The smaller
the quantisation step the less noise is required until eventually the
receiver noise alone may be sufficient. The uncorrected sawtooth timing
error of the receiver PPS output is not sufficiently noise like to be
used instead of  bandlimited gaussian timing noise with the appropriate
amplitude.