[time-nuts] Lucent RFG-M-RG and XO

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Thu Dec 28 11:24:41 EST 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 08:51:24 -0500, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the information, Gerald.
>
>Could the fault light without 10MHz input be as simple as the system
>reporting failure of the Rb?  i.e., the XO unit working OK, but just
>reporting that the system wasn't operating properly.
>
>Like you, I'm having trouble sussing out just why this thing is designed
>as it is, which oscillator is primary, and why...
>
>John
>----

I agree. The more I learn about the system, the odder it seems. Before
looking at the RB, I would have guessed that the XO unit, with GPS,
would have been disciplining the Rb to use in hold-over. In the RB, I
don't see any signs of a connection to the C-field control and no
identifiable DAC, so I assume the RB runs standalone, with only the
factory alignment of the Rb. I didn't see anyway to get to the
adjustment for C-field on the LPRO without dismantling the whole box
either.

There is a chance I am wrong about the lack of connection to the C-field
pin. The board in the RB that I looked at does seem to be 3-layer, so
visually tracing some of the signals can't be done. My measurements from
the C-field pin didn't find any hint of a connection on the board.

-Rex