[time-nuts] HP 5345A

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Dec 29 18:21:36 EST 2006

They probably assumed that most hardcore users would lock the counter or
generator to a house standard anyway.  (You might point out that only
hardcore users would have paid $15,000+ for a 5345A, but the practically-new
one that I just bought was owned by the New Jersey State Police!)

It's interesting that the 5345A phase-locks its internal OCXO while the
5370A/B does not.  I guess in the 5370's case, HP didn't want to be accused
of degrading the jitter of a hypothetical super-clean external source.  But
why bother phase-locking the OCXO in the 5345A?  The practical upshot of
that is that you have to leave the 5345A plugged in to avoid warmup delays,
while the 5370B can stay on a switched outlet.

-- john, KE5FX