[time-nuts] Thought experiment on a low cost timing board

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Sat Feb 25 09:11:01 EST 2006

> > My solution was to replace the 'HC390 change with the elegant
> > PIC-based divider chain invented by Tom van Baak. This uses the 10 MHz
> > signal as the PIC's clock, and the tight code based on a fixed number
> > of wait states makes a fully synchronous divider. I was unable to
> > measure ANY temperature effects. The PIC requires less real estate
> > than the 'HC390s and is also quite cost effective.
>
> For those of you interested -- the free PIC source code
> for the divider is at:
> http://www.leapsecond.com/tools/PPSDIV.ASM

Very interesting.
Thank you very much to both Toms for your work and the listing, and of
course to Brooks, who did a fantastic job.

> Also I think Brooks Shera keeps a copy of the code at:
> http://www.rt66.com/~shera/index_fs.htm

Unfortunately there is only the hex list of the pic code.
As I would like to experiment as well with this modification
and try to change some parameters to fit my LPRO
and some different OCXOs I own,
is there a way to get the commented source code of it?

> Although written years ago for the PIC16C84 it works with
> little modification to almost any PIC. Remember to turn on
> the HS osc fuse, turn off the WDT fuse, and use a PIC part
> that handles a 10 MHz clock.

> > In short -- The Jupiter-T is a good timing receiver.
> > Hope these factoids helped -- Tom
>
> Yes, thanks much. Always a pleasure to hear from you.

The pleasure is as well mine to read all the good comments
from you.

I have still the idea to use a higher clock for the pulse
counter instead of the 24 MHz for a better resolution.

I could not get any M12+ GPS-receiver on the market,
so I bought the Jupiter-T as well and I want to compare the
behaviour with the Trimble Resolution T later on,
but before I have to get all that running.
(Is it possible to compete or beat the off the shelf
solutions? ;-) )

Have always a good Time!

Arnold, DK2WT

--
DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl