[time-nuts] Can somebody give me a lesson in OCXOs?

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sat Feb 25 20:01:17 EST 2006

I'm primarily interested in temperature stability.  I want to make my PC keep
good time rather than wander around when the box warms up because I started
reading my mail.

I've been thinking of something for a PCI card. I'm willing to cheat and
leave the adjacent slot empty if the OCXO is a bit too tall.  So 12V or 5V is
more interesting than higher voltages.  But I'm also generally curious and
might do something else if I get a good idea that uses a different part.

Is there some obvious inexpensive surplus/recycled part I should be looking
for?

EBay often has Isotemp OCXO134-10 at 10 MHz.  Currently they are $75
buy-it-now, none for auction.  The data sheet is available at Isotemp's web
site.  It says 5ppb over -30C to +60C.  (Anybody know what sort of shape that
curve has?)

I've also seen smaller 3 MHz units, currently buy-it-now at 4 for $25.  I
don't have data sheets.  Description says 27V.  I can read the part number
off one of the pictures, but Isotemp doesn't have anything on their web site.

Is anybody familiar with either of those?

Any vendors known to be hobbyist friendly?  I'm not in a hurry.  I'd be
willing to wait until their next batch if that saves significant $.

Any sweet spots on the price/performance curve?  I expect commercial units
are more expensive than I want to pay for but I might do something a bit
crazy if I get in the right mood.

Digikey has a few small Conner-Winfield units at $100-$200.