[time-nuts] Second FTS4060 shows Drift, is it me? Good Links

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Feb 7 17:15:20 EST 2006

Hi Tom:

The plot with red and blue is the old data on s/n 1227 where the red
points are from LORAN-C and the blue points from GPS.
s/n 1227 = http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/pdf/Cs_Drift0429.pdf
from April 29, 2005.
This might be a clue to the problem I'm now having with s/n 1013.
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/pdf/sn1013_850_Drift2.pdf  s/n 1013
from yesterday.

It's my understanding the a properly working Cs standard probably has
it's frequency slightly off from perfect, but does NOT have any drift in
frequency.
So a Time Interval plot, like those in the links above, should be just a
straight line, i.e. it should not have a parabolic shape.
The slope of the TI plot is the first derivative of the equation of the
points and should have included two terms.  The second derivative gives
the aging rate which should be zero for a Cs standard. When I recompute
based on the Excell equation coefficients the answer is off, so I think
that Excell is giving rough values.  But in any case the second
derivative is just a single number whose units would be ns/day/day.

Don't have plots of s/n 1013 vs. s/n 1227.  I just have one SR620 counter.
Is there a common way to check the TI counter, maybe based on a coax cable?

Thanks,

Brooke

w/Java http://www.PRC68.com
w/o Java http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/PRC68COM.shtml