[time-nuts] Help - Hope?

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Tue Jan 3 12:03:21 EST 2006

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Help - Hope?
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:22:32 +0100

> In message <43BAA3A5.3060201 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:
>
> > From my perspective, things are much easier for the electronics hobbyist
> >today than they have ever been before.
>
> No doubt about that.
>
> But the question was if it has become (too much) harder to become
> an electronics hobbyist in the first place.

To some degree yes, to some degree no. The real threat is maybe not integration
but rather stuff like ROHS, which can make it much harder getting components we
used to have available.

There is alot of information available "out there", but it lacks organisation
and what is lacking is the good hands-on-tips on how to actually design,
actually assemble. There is however alot of inspiration from all kinds of
projects around. It starts by wanting to make a little cable, goes further to
some minor gadget and then it rolls on. For instance, when the kids gets tired
with softsynths and have catched on the awe for big modulars, they want to
learn to make it themselfs... and they do! They find alot of info, find the
forums, asks and learns. Read schematics and see what people like Jürgen Haible
is doing. I imagine that similar stuff happends in other branches.

They start from a different place, but their start is not based on the old
fashination of talking over radio-waves... everyone is doing that these days!

Cheers,
Magnus