[time-nuts] Jupiter GPS receiver

Alberto di Bene dibene at usa.net
Thu Jan 5 13:02:25 EST 2006

Magnus Danielson wrote:

>>I looked in my data and their spec sheet shows +/- 1 microsecond.  But,
>>I beleive this was much better than that.  I cannot find it, but I
>>beleive I seen a report where somebody compared the Jupiter and it was
>>in the 120 to 150 nanosecond class.
>

> +/- 1 microsecond is the old worstcase garantee for the GPS system. It is was
> you can expect from a GPS with lack of satellites, SA and old style satellites
> going out of date in their predicted orbits data.
>
> These days we have better satellites, full system and no SA. Add to that much
> improved receivers (no more 1 channel receivers as in the good old days).

Brian and Magnus,

  thanks for your input. It looks like I can, after all, use that Rockwell board
without resorting to huge integration times for the 1pps signal.

Just curious on another topic : I have seen advertized GPS boards with 20-channel
capability, Given that, at least based on my direct experience, even with a clear
horizon you rarely have 12 satellites in view, what does buy you having that
capability available?  TNX.

73  Alberto  I2PHD