[time-nuts] Jupiter GPS receiver

Bjorn Gabrielsson bg at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jan 5 15:56:17 EST 2006

Alberto di Bene <dibene at usa.net> writes:

> Just curious on another topic : I have seen advertized GPS boards with 20-channel
> capability, Given that, at least based on my direct experience, even with a clear
> horizon you rarely have 12 satellites in view, what does buy you having that
> capability available?

In case the correlator banks are strictly assigned to a receiver
channel, multiple channels could assist in looking for a specific
satellite signal. Now vith 30 (29?) live satellites having 12 normal
satellites and one or two SBAS (WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS) sats are not
uncommon. In general the more correlators you have the quicker
acquisition / reacq. you will have.

Having a stationary scenario, with a good antenna placement, surveyed
position and looking only for good timing performance. Whats the
benefit of 12 channels over 6? You are already having 5 reduntant
channels...

With the present positioning measurement noice on good receiver down
in the some dm range - focusing on translating that receiver noise
also to the PPS signal, is more important. On the other hand. Sub 1us
noise PPS pulse is good enough for my NTP use...