[time-nuts] Some More Questions

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Wed Jan 18 03:03:37 EST 2006

John-

> If I divided this down to 1 PPS, would it be a better timing reference
than the GPS receiver?

The best idea is to use the 1 PPS to discipline (phase lock) the 10MHz OXCO
in your counter.

A couple starting points for homebrew solutions:

 Brooks Shera's circuit		http://www.rt66.com/~shera/index_fs.htm
 TAPR Reflock II
http://www.tapr.org/kits_reflock_ii.html

If you've got the bucks and/or can find a deal, the Stanford Research PRS-10
is a nice Rb oscillator that can be disciplined from an external 1 PPS
signal.  This is what I am running, using a Motorola M12+ timing receiver to
feed it.

-ch
ch(at)murgatroid.com

P.S. John De Armond?  That name sounds familiar.  Were you on one of the
early mopar mailing lists?