[time-nuts] Some More questions

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Thu Jan 19 02:50:53 EST 2006

> >You can check this with a hair dryer. Measure the effect
> >of a 10 C rise and then extrapolate back to 0.1 or 0.01C
> >to see what the result of making an oven would buy you.

> One problem with that approach is that crystals that are not intended
> for oven operation are optimized for minimum frequency change over 0-50
> or some other "normal" environment temperature range, and at 75 degree C
> or wherever you are going to run the oven at, the temperature
> sensitivity might be much greater than around 25 degrees. So even though
> the oven might reduce the temperature variation by a factor of 10 or
> better, the overall frequency sensitivity may not improve by the same
> factor..

I agree. And I should have clarified - one uses a hair
dryer to generally heat the ambient air nearby the
device in question. You can use a thermometer
to sense the external or internal case temperature
to limit the temperature rise to 10 C or something
sane. Do not, of course, blast the poor thing with
1500W of direct heat.

/tvb