[time-nuts] Quartz assisted pendulum clock.

Dennis O'Keefe okeefed at newpaltz.edu
Thu Jan 5 09:27:54 EST 2006

Earlier this week I made a claim that I am a Time Nut from way back. In
further evidence of that, I report that I actually clipped and saved that
article.

Reference: Scientific American, September 1974, pages 192 - 198, in a section
called The Amateur Scientist.

The man made a quarts crystal oscillator that sent a pulse to an electromagnet
that was placed near a permanent magnet mounted on the pendulum of a wall (not
a grandfather) clock. The pendulum was set a bit slow for its 72 per minuet
beat and the electronics gave it a push each cycle to make it swing at the
correct rate.

He had faster and slower count settings to adjust its rate. The ultimate check
was still listening to WWV while looking at the clock.

-- Dennis O'Keefe
New Paltz, New York