[time-nuts] NTP stratum 0

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Jan 14 18:33:21 EST 2006

In message <20060114210541.2B845BDE3 at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net>, Hal Murr
ay writes:

>> If you are within about a millisecond, then no one will notice if the
>> time exchange is over the internet...
>
>How about almost no one.  This is the time-nuts mailing list after all.

NTPns > show ntpv4 0 partner
                   total   ours others
partners            2000   1144    856
partners good       1759   1118    641
partners bad         241     26    215
partners > 1s        160      6    154
partners < 1s         95     26     69
partners < 100ms     202     77    125
partners < 10ms      638    337    301
partners < 1ms       905    698    207
NTPns >

We're certainly far from "no one", in the above about 60% (698 of
1144) of the machines syncing to my server is in the millisecond
range and about 20% (207 of 856) for machines synching from other
servers.  For the entire population it is about 45% (905 of 2000)