[time-nuts] Dithering vs. locking all the clocks to the OCXO?

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Tue Jul 4 15:00:23 EDT 2006

On Tue, July 4, 2006 19:18, Bill Hawkins said:

> What causes the "atmospheric effects"? I'd expect radiation to
> slow down a bit as it passes through water. Are there heat
> effects as well? Does the density of the atmosphere change
> enough to make a 10E-10 second delay possible? If so, it
> seems there would be non-negligible changes due to turbulence
> over a kilometer or so.

Largest error source for single freq receivers are ionospheric errors,
because of time varying TEC. (The very same effect that makes some
radiowaves sometimes circle the globe.) The next important error source is
the trophosphere, where water vapor content delays the signal somewhat
unpredictable.

--
    Björn